Can You Stay For Longer On A Holiday In The US?

Sometimes when the time comes to go back home from our holiday, we’re not just not mentally ready. Most of us suck it up and just accept, we have to say goodbye to the beaches, restaurants, hotels and friends we’ve come into contact with along the way. Others, not so much. Some of us are stubborn and we’ll find a way to stay by hook or crook. Hopefully, you’re not going to cheat the system and you’ll take the honest way to extend your stay. This can be done in a number of ways, especially if you’re in the USA. The USA has a number of options that other countries don’t have for you to extend your stay which is why we’re going to explore them.

Travel visa

A travel visa can be extended a lot compared to other countries. In the UK for example, you’re only allowed a maximum of 6 months stay before you have to wait a couple of years to come back. So if you have stayed for 3 months and want to extend, you can only extend it by 3 months. In the USA however, there is no limit to the amount of time you have spent in the country before you can extend your stay. The downside is, you can only extend by about 45 days. But you aren’t limited to how many times you can visit the USA in return. 

Temporary stay as a worker

Contrary to some countries, you can actually switch your travel visa to a temporary worker visa relatively easily. In the UK and in Canada, you cannot work or switch your travel visa into a work visa. You have to follow separate channels for this. In other words, you have to make a brand new application to work and probably, go home before you can come back again. You can apply for temporary worker status, using any of the 3 H-forms. H-1, H-2 and H-3 forms are the main forms you need to fill out and hand in to the state embassy where you are located. This can turn your travel visa into a temporary work visa after verification with the local authorities.

Just apply

If you have fallen in love with the country, why not just apply for us citizenship? It’s a relatively easy process and 1.1 million people are accepted every year. Just use the online services to show your work status, professional qualifications, aims of what you intend to do to pay for your living standards once in the country, as well as any family connections, etc. Working with a US citizenship firm or attorney, helps you to understand the eligibility criteria too. Depending on your earning or earnings potential, different states will rank you as to how likely you are to be accepted for residence in their particular jurisdictions.

If you want to stay longer in the US, there are a myriad of options you have at your disposal. Check with the local authorities as to what these are, by calling the city hall, mayor’s office or the embassy. 

Nb. Collaborative post.